Monday, August 1, 2011

Transmetropolitan and Dollhouse Reviews (Both SPOILER FREE)

Transmetropolitan
Transmetropolitan is a Vertigo comic series written by Warren Ellis (Wanted, the Authority) about a deranged yet idealistic journalist in a dystopian 23rd century America. I am not a fan of Ellis, especially the Authority (That issue of Superman where he fought the expy's of them is great). I generally don't like stories where everyone's an ass and no one has ideals of any kind. Which is why it surprised me how much I love this series. Spider Jerusalem is hilarious, off-putting, and relatable all at the same time. The art is good, the stories well thought out, and the dialogue is insane. My only complaint is a couple problems I have with the style of the future. The weird foods and weirder people are really disconnecting for me at times, but it always pulled me back in with Spider. This isn't really a flaw of the comic, it's my personal preference. Overall one of the greatest series I have ever read. Check it out at your local comic shop now.

Dollhouse
Dollhouse is the newest TV show from genius Joss Whedon (Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog) I will not in any way talk about the contents of the show itself, in respect to spoilers. When compared to Whedon's other works, it find itself lacking. The script isn't very funny, the main actress has little range, and there is none of the heart that Firefly had in abundance. The only thing it has going for it is that it's a complete story in 2 seasons, not 7 + a comic series or 14 episodes and a movie. However, as a show alone it is better than 95% of what's on now. The story is intense, the twists exciting, and not counting the protagonist the characters are lovable (especially Topher). Overall I think it is a better recommendation for non-Whedonites (who have lower expectations). Great show. Now I'm off to start Dr. Who.

No comments:

Post a Comment