Friday, December 23, 2011

Classic Who Review 1-An Unearthly Child

        Hey there guys. I'm finally beginning my binge through the classic Doctor Who episodes. I'll drop by here after each serial to spill my impressions here.

        Let's start with the story. I've never been a big fan of the episodes where they go to historical times, and this first serial isn't an exception. The story is just alright, the 'politics' of a caveman tribe, really. The scenery and effects are again alright, they did well enough that my suspension of disbelief never broke.

        My first time with him, I don't know what to think of the 1st Doctor. He is definitely as I've heard described here: cold, pragmatic, and much less moral than I'm used to. However, there are still moments where I can see the Doctor we know and love in him, such as when he screws with the cavemen to switch the polarity of the politics flow (sorry, couldn't resist.) Not only does it display his cleverness, the whole time he looks and sounds like he's suppressing a giggle-fit. The same joy and happiness we see today is still there, just buried deeper.

      I really liked the companions. Susan was very interesting, and I'm excited to see more of her. The two teachers (sorry, their names haven't sinked in yet) are pretty cool two. Overall, it's not an episode I think I'll remember too often, though it isn't bad either. Until next serial, laters.

No comments:

Post a Comment