Thursday, July 14, 2011

July 14th Update, FMA Brotherhood and Durarara!! Reviews

Update
Today was a waste of time. I went to get the money for the lease, and didn't realize the bus didn't go by my bank anymore (really recent change) until it was about to leave the city back for my hometown. I was pissed to say the least. The only good thing about that 2 hours on the bus was I had just downloaded the Red Vs Blue Revelation OST and was listening to that while reading. I really like it, especially Sarge's Blues and Agent Tex.

Durarara!! Review
This series is...weird. I'll try to summarize as best I can. It, like Baccano, is based on a series of light novels by Ryohgo Narita. Both series share a large cast of interesting and badass characters, and a flair for the hilarious and bombastic. And while I love Baccano dearly, it pales in comparison to Durarara!! Why? Because for all it's grit and style, Baccano is hollow. There's no real moral, message, theme, or motif. It never makes you stop and think what happens over, or question one sides morals over the others. Durarara!! does. Basic idea: take real life district of Tokyo Ikebukuro, and add in several dozen characters with conflicting interests, allegiances, and philosophies. These people range from modern Dullahan's from Celtic myth to a mad scientist whose specialty is sociology to a lone shark's muscle with a hair-trigger temper with enough strength to swing telephone poles as bats and skin that stops bullets. The animation is great, the soundtrack vibrant and fun, and the action is incredible. The biggest strength lies in the aforementioned characters however, as each interesting enough for an entire series based around them. My favorite is probably Shinra, as his romance with Celty is both funny and heartwarming. A definite buy for anyone who like Baccano and a rent for everyone else, highly recommended. It is airing on Adult Swim.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood review
I just finished with the show, so I'll be brief. If you haven't seen the original anime, it's on Netflix so go try it. It is one of the most famous anime in the last decade, and a gateway drug for many people my age. It did, however, stop following the manga halfway through. Brotherhood is a remake that stays very similar to the manga. Because of this, each has it's own unique take on the premise. I will not say one is better than the other, both are incredible. The original had a major tone shift halfway through, while Brotherhood is poorly paced at first. I personally prefer Brotherhood, because I love it's villains and it's takes on Mustang and Hawkeye, which are noticeably different from the first. Also I love Ling. I know KTChamberlain disagrees with me on this, but to me he is a very human character with a distinct arc and a lot of depth. Plus he's hilarious. Overall, I recommend it higher than 99.5% of the things I watch. Please comment with your thoughts to which side of the debate you way in on.

1 comment:

  1. This is great. Some of the most talented writers don't have the discipline to sit down and write every day. Keep it up, man!

    ReplyDelete