Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Out of the Box-Intro and Spider-Man #74

INTRO

Unlike a lot of friends I have, I never grew up reading comic books. There aren't any comic shops in my county, and there weren't that many comic readers that I knew. So when I started watching Linkara's Atop the Fourth Wall, and wanted to really get into comics, I asked the biggest comic nerd I knew, my cousin Michael. He sorted through his collection, and gave me a bunch of doubles and things I might like in a small box. Here I will read and type my thoughts on these comics. I'm still new to both company's continuity, so if I make a mistake, just comment on it and I'll change it (after I fact-check your answer of course). At the end each comic will be rated either (from best to worst): Onto the Shelf, Back to the Box, and Into the Garbage.

SPIDER-MAN #74
Like a lot of Spider-Man fans (he's my 2nd favorite superhero), I know a bit about the Clone Saga. It lasted over 2 years (very long for a comic event), and while many early stories were decent to good, it ended up being a large pile of failure (for clarification watch this and this.) And despite no apparent mentioning of clones of any kind, today's comic is indeed not just a part, but the penultimate issue of the Clone Saga.

The comic begins with a monologue in these really cool red gradient text boxes, talking about how The Daily Bugle says all heroes are gone, and this is leading to more crime from villains coming out of the woodwork. Combining the color of the boxes, the several decent snarky lines in the boxes, the mention of 'hyper-senses' and you know, the fact the book is called Spider-Man, you'd assume that the hero stopping Bolt is the neighborhood friendly superhero. However, the second I turn the page I see a two-page spread of Daredevil attacking the villain. This is kind of clever, with everything he said being applicable to both Spidey and Daredevil...until the remember the snark. As far as I have seen, when Daredevil's out kicking ass, he doesn't do witty banter much. And yet both the thought bubbles and fight dialogue contradict this. Oh well, I guess the cleverness of the twist and the stupidity and retrospect kind of cancel each-other out.

DD knocks the villain out, and then interrogates him until he learns that some guy named Fortunato (It's seriously always bolded like that.) has captured our favorite web-slinger and is going to kill him in front of all the criminals in the city to show he's in power. Jump cut to the meeting itself, where Fortunato reveals that he and the rest of the criminal masterminds of NYC have allied themselves with Hydra (Some terrorist group), and has captured the web-head who has plagued them for years. Only 2 problems: A) he says every criminal mastermind in NYC, but I don't see the Kingpin anywhere. B) Spidey is revealed in a two-page spread that I need to turn on it's side. LAME. Thanks to Spidey's inner monologue, we find out that the big guy, Jimmy-6, is the son of Fortunato and Spidey saved his life and is letting him crash at his place and now Jimmy-6's doing nothing to help him. Raise your hands if you think Jimmy-6 will betray his Dad and save the day! I'm typing with one hand now, and I haven't even read the rest of the comic yet.

Fortunato  reveals he has captured Tombstone as well, and because he dared to attack Fortunato will execute him and one person from each of the bosses' territories, because if they try to betray him he will do it more, tenfold. One problem: since when do people like Hammerhead and Thorpe give two shits about innocent lives? Whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment