Monday, July 23, 2012

Comparing First Episodes-One Piece and Fairy Tail

              Yeah, I don't think this is going to be a new thing. I'm just doing this instead of reviewing the damn show, because honestly I can't review something I've seen two episodes of, and I do not want to watch any more of it. So I'm going to compare it's first episode to the first episode of the similar show One Piece.

               Fairy Tail's first episode has better animation. The fight scene at the end is, from a technical aspect, better than any in the first of One Piece. That is pretty much the only thing I can say FT did better.

               One Piece's first episode manages to get across so much. You get a good look at the main character, you learn a little about the world, you learn about the powers, you learn about where the end goal of the story is, and most importantly for me, you get the main thesis of the show. "I understand the road I've chosen in a dangerous one. If I die trying to achieve my dream, then I die." That's not an exact quote, but I love the line. It perfectly sums up the message of the show. Compare this to Fairy Tail, where afterwards I learned there's magic, and there's guilds, and the main character wants to join the guild Fairy Tail, and this other guy is already a member and has dragon powers. But what is the theme of the show? I also grew much more attached to Luffy and Coby than Lucy and Natsu. I love Luffy's nonchalance towards so many others, while also being concerned for Coby once he realizes that he actually has a dream of his own, even if it conflicts with Luffy's. Coby had half a character arc, going from a coward to brave, and it was hard not to like the kid. Lucy...um, she's a mage. And she wants to be a member of Fairy Tail. And she uses summon magic. Notice I didn't mention her personality at all? That's because I didn't remember it. I could look it up, but if a show isn't able to impress their character's traits onto me and its own, then they're failing. And Natsu is so boring. He eats a lot, he's bored, he likes to fight. But what does he want? Why does he want it? What are his morals? I don't know. Lastly, the action in OP's first episode is more fun, and has a larger impact to me.

                 I am not saying Fairy Tail is bad. What I'm saying is that it was not able to impress me enough early on to get me to want to watch it. Normally I'd watch it anyway, but this is a shonen series. I know this story is going to go long, so you have to hook me if you want me to watch the whole thing. Laters.

No comments:

Post a Comment