Thursday, January 26, 2012

Character Study-Yuki

                  Yuki Nagato is my second most favorite character in this show, and one of my favorite female characters in anime period. I won't go too much into her backstory, not because it's long (it isn't) but because I don't want to spoil some people. So, what you need to know is this: Yuki is not the typical shy bookworm character. She literally spends mos of her day reading thick hardcover books. When talking, she mostly uses one to two word responses. And she does not seem to show any emotion. There are reasons for this, but as I said no spoilers. She is not, however, emotionless. If you may close attention, you can tell by small signs that she does feel emotions, and as the series goes on it becomes more and more obvious. Why do I love her so? Well, the stuff I just said is cool, but the main reason is very spoilery. All I'll say is it involves coding and fighting.
                  (Note: from now on, I will not talk about the Japanese seiyuu. I haven't watched enough subs to give a good opinion on them, and talking about stuff I don't know isn't a hobby.) Her voice actress is Michelle Ruff, also known as Rukia from Bleach, Yoko from Gurren Lagann, Euphemia from Code Geass, and Tsukasa from Lucky Star. Yeah, lots of great starring roles. At first I thought her job of doing Yuki wasn't hard, but I was wrong. First, it isn't easy too sound that emotionless. From trying to cast my radioplay, I speak from experience. Second, if you may close enough attention, her acting is very subtle. Listen close enough to certain lines and you can hear some emotion buried underneath. Third, her job in the movie was incredible. I won't say how, but her job changed considerably, and she did it perfectly. Overall, Yuki is an awesome character. Laters.

No comments:

Post a Comment