Sunday, January 29, 2012

I have to reveal something important

                   An important first note is that this article is, for the most part, not a review or list or anything like that. It's storytime, children.

                   I made a friend last semester at Butte named James. One of the first things that happened when we chatted was he told me of a show he loved dearly. When he told me it's name, I burst out laughing. "He must be kidding, or trying to be ironic or something." I thought. But then he went into more details, and some of he words he threw at me managed to hit a brain synapse. So I looked it up that day. And then the meme's hit.

                  Apparently the internet had fallen in love with this cartoon as well, and had made memes accordingly. I laughed. A lot. They were easily up there in my favorite memes ever, along with 60's Spiderman.
                    After a while of debating, I decided to watch it. I watched the first episode, deciding to take the show as it was, with no preconceptions. I loved it. 100%. I kept watching, and am currently on the 18th episode of the first season.

                   I saw James for the first time since the end of last semester on Wednesday. The first words out of my mouth were accusatory, and I will not reveal them yet, for the sake of dramatic tension. The blame does not lie with him exclusively. It also lies with a large amount of those on the interwebs, a great percentage of which are from the wretched hive of scum and villainy known as 4chan. Why did you make the memes so funny? Why did you spread this great but embarrassing show to us all? And why is it so damn good? My remark towards James was "YOU! YOU TURNED ME INTO A...BRONY!" His response was simple:
                   Yeah, I have been watching My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. And I love it. I love Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Derpy Hooves, Doctor Whooves, DJ PON-3, all of them. For those wondering what the fuck I'm talking about, this newest incarnation of the long-running franchise (that I haven't seen any of) was handed off to the Lauren Faust, the creator of Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. You'll notice that she is made of win, and she loves to make shows that are embarrassing to admit liking, but when you do most people agree wholeheartedly. When she got this project, she decided not to make more cookie-cutter blandness to shove down the eyes of little girls everywhere. She made a show that can be enjoyed by anyone, that has good morals, relatable characters, and funny as hell dialogue. Everyone I've met that hates the show has never seen it, because if they did they probably wouldn't. It's a hard show to hate. So yeah...hope my man-cred survives this article. Wait a second...I love Lucky Star...I haven't had man-cred in 3 years! Oh well. Please, if you haven't please try this show. You'll probably love the hell out of it like the rest of us bronies. Until tomarrow, laters.

No comments:

Post a Comment