Sunday, January 8, 2012

Watashi wa Anime ga daisukidesu! - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

  
           Ah, this is where it began for me. Over 3 years or so ago, I heard about this anime from an old review show called AnimeTV. Hearing some good things about it, I tried it out. It was love at first episode. Now, I have heard some criticism over this show from my favorite anime reviewer, Jesuotaku. I think she is hilarious, intelligent, and compromised of over 80% win. She said that the many of the characters don't have much depth, and the second half the series is just fun with no real plot. While I would say these criticisms are logically valid, I disagree with her here. Yuki and Itsuki are not shallow characters, there depth is there. It's just the kind of depth that takes a while to notice. (I have no defense for Mikuru, she's totally shallow) Closely watching you'll notice small hints of Yuki's emotions, and the way Itsuki puts on and takes off his 'mask' of his character. And for the 'plotless' episodes, I disagree because of the fact that, besides the first bit, the franchise has no ongoing plot. And while they seem to lack plot, very few of those episodes are. The bit of plot in each one is hidden, and seems of no significance, only to reveal it's importance later. Only with the latest movie has these bits started to play out there meaning, so as a self-containted season, she is correct.

           Why do I love this anime so? The story episodes are, in my opinion, some of the best episodes in anime. Some of the later episodes similarly touch me, like Live Alive, the Day of Sagittarius, and Mysterious Sign. I love how science-y the sci-fi is, how amazing the characters are, and how funny the script is. This anime will always have a large place in my heart, easily in my Top 5 Anime Series.

No comments:

Post a Comment