Saturday, February 4, 2012

Cracking a Goddamned Book-Time Spiral

                Hell yeah! I love Magic: The Gathering, and have been a fan since 7th Grade. (To those in the know, I am a total Timmy Vorthos.) I love the storylines, the gameplay is fun, and smashing things with my Darksteel Colossus is so much fun. This is the first Magic novel I've read in a while, and I love it. Time Spiral is one of my favorite blocks in the series, so I was pretty excited to read this.

              For those not in the know, Magic is all about the Multiverse, the infinite number of planes of existence. The planes have only one constant: 1 out of every 1,000,000 sapient beings is born with the Spark. When a being with the Spark is incredibly stressed, sad, or angry their Spark ignites, and becomes a Planeswalker. A Planeswalker is a super powerful magic user, with the ability to planeswalk between the planes as simply as if they were walking to the next room. The center of the multiverse is a plane called Dominaria, which is featured in far more sets than any other plane.

           The Planeswalker Teferi is thousands of years old, and is mostly a kind and joking guy. One day he goes to his eternally young friend Jhoira, to tell her something important and serious. Their home plane of Dominaria is in danger. You see, over the course of the series, it has had three Apocalypses. (Apocali?) This has caused huge tears in the fabric of space and time, and will  tear Dominaria and the Multiverse apart.

          I love the case here. Teferi is made of epic win, and Venser is awesome. Radha is a bitch, but hilarious and Jhoira is pretty cool too. To writing is pretty good, it definitely helps build a mental picture of the landscape. The dialogue is damn good. I really enjoyed the story, and can't wait to tear through the next book. Overall, a great read for fantasy fans, especially those already enjoying the card game.

No comments:

Post a Comment