Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Retrospective-Avatar: the Airbender Book 1, Chapter 10-Jet

                   Hells-to-the-motherfucking-yes I love this episode. It is easily one of my favorites of the season. And not for the reason you think. Two more "Just realized this by watching it again" things hit me when I was watching just now.

                   Firstly, Jet is heavily mischaracterized by the fandom. Now, I could be wrong here or I could be the last guy realizing this, but Jet is not at all what he seems to be in this episode. And no I'm no moron, I mean in a different way. Jet portrays himself, and many people see him as this, as a charismatic, kind, passionate, underdog with a grudge against the Fire Nation. Not only should kind be thrown out, so should the bolded. He is not the underdog here, and neither is he some kid doing the best he can. He is a leader in the cold, detached acting sort of way. Every word he says and every part of who he is is just a way to get what he wants. He doesn't have feelings for Katara really, he just sees here as a resource to be tapped for victory. His great speeches he gives to his army aren't from the heart, they're mapped out to play with their emotions. The specific word choices he uses are made to get people to see things his way. This makes him a much better villain for me.

             Secondly, they only use the word "instincts" right once here. the entire episode they bag on Sokka going by his instincts. But he isn't. At the end, when he goes the wrong direction, he is. But when he's telling them they should walk, not fly, that is logic. When he tells them not to trust Jet, that's logic. I don't think of this as a flaw, they're kids and probably the best word they knew for logic was instinct, even though they're far off on the right definition.

           My ramblings non-withstanding, this is a great episode. It plays with your emotions, has some fantastic fights, and shows Katara's badassery for the first time. Also, to Jet fangirls out to kill me, bring it.

No comments:

Post a Comment